Nepali is the most commonly spoken language at home in Nebraska, USA after English and Spanish. Business Insider reported these findings using individual-level responses from The US Census Bureau’s 2017 American Community Survey assembled and published by the Minnesota Population Center’s Integrated Public Use Microdata Series program.
It is no surprise that English is the most commonly spoken language in the US followed by Spanish which is commonly spoken at homes in 46 states and Washington DC. Therefore, the study excluded those two languages in the map.
- German is commonly spoken in nine states
- French is commonly spoken in six states and DC
- Vietnamese is commonly spoken in six states
- Chinese is commonly spoken in five states
- Arabic is commonly spoken in three states
- Portuguese is commonly spoken in three states
It is surprising that none of the states identify Hindi as the most commonly spoken language at home with the exception of Gujrati in New Jersey.